Monday, August 4, 2008

Mmmmmm Blueberries!!


I've been eating a lot of blueberries lately-you probably have been, too! They are sweet, tangy, and delicious. Since they're in season, they're cheaper than usual-bonus. My smoothies contain them, I eat them plain or in a salad, and my kids love 'em. Another bonus:they're good for you, too!

From Wikipedia:

"Blueberries have a diverse range of micronutrients, with notably high levels of the essential dietary mineral manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K and dietary fiber. One serving provides a relatively low glycemic load score of 4 out of 100 per day.
Especially in wild species, blueberries contain anthocyanins, other antioxidant pigments and various phytochemicals possibly having a role in reducing risks of some diseases, including inflammation and different cancers."


Here's my recipe for a BLUEBERRY PINA COLADA (gone green!):


1/2 CUP FROZEN WILD BLUEBERRIES

2 LEAVES OF KALE

1 CUP FRESH PINEAPPLE

1 BANANA

1/2 CUP COCONUT MILK

1/4 CUP HEMP MILK


Soooo delicious-I had it this morning!! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Gorgeous photo. Your smoothie sounds yummy!!!

Kristin said...

Thanks! It was-so good I wanted another one this morning, but I need to pick up some more kale first.:(